Out With The Old

Thursday, February 16, 2017

So, this month I've run out of quite a few different products. I'd been scraping the bottom of my foundation bottle, mascara was bone dry and I'd resorted to aggressively shaking my moisturiser bottle desperate to get a tiny bit more out. This got me thinking about how long I'd had them for and it turns out I'd had them for a lot longer than I should've. 




As someone who struggles with acne prone skin, I'm quite strict when it comes to buying new concealers/foundations regularly and washing my brushes every fortnight. Having said this, I've noticed I've been quite careless when it comes to some of my other makeup. I know I've got some eyeshadow palettes and nail polishes that I've had for yonks so it encouraged me to have a clear out and do some research into how long we should really be keeping certain products. I think of it like food in the fridge, makeup eventually becomes expired and it's not good to keep using them after the expiration date.

The expiration date may differ depending on specific branded products but they're usually found on the back of a product near the barcode. If a product doesn't display one then this list is generally how long we should keep different cosmetic products:

Mascara: 3 months
Foundation: 12 months
Concealer: 18-24 months
Powders (shadows, blushers, bronzers): 12 months
Liquid/Gel Eyelier: 3 months
Eyeliner Pencil: 2 years
Lipgloss: 18-24 months
Lipstick/Lip liner: 12 months
Moisturiser: 6-12 months
Nail Polish: 2 years


There are a few issues with using products that are passed their expiration date; they stop performing as well as they used to because they dry out, get clumpy and don't apply as smoothly. They can also cause irritations or infections because of increased amounts of bacteria over time. Obviously you don't want any eye infections from old mascaras or pesky spot outbreaks because of ancient concealers, so it's really important to make a note of when you need to throw things out. 

Hopefully this has helped you in some way and encouraged you to riffle through your makeup storage on the hunt for out of date makeup to throw away. 

Liv x

You Might Also Like

0 comments