Classic Coffee And Walnut Cake

Tuesday, May 09, 2017


I can't believe it's taken me so long to write a baking post. The past few months have been so hectic so baking has definitely been put on the back burner. I didn't even bake during Easter. Not once. Which is so out of the norm for me. Since I'm now working in a vintage tearoom I'm constantly surrounded by cake. It's unbelievably tempting but is also perfect for baking inspo and ideas. One that I've particularly liked (quite a few slices have somehow made their way home with me) is the coffee and walnut cake so I decided to give it a go and it actually turned out really well.

Ingredients For The Cake
  • 50g Walnuts
  • 225g Caster Sugar
  • 225g Unsalted Butter (I like to use stork)
  • 200g Plain Flour
  • 4 Large Eggs
  • 1-2 Drops Of Vanilla Extract
  • 2 1/2 Teaspoons Of Baking Powder
  • 1/2 A Teaspoon Of Bicarbonate Soda
  • 4 Teaspoons Of Espresso Coffee Powder
  • 1-2 Tablespoons Of Milk
Ingredients For The Buttercream
  • 350g Icing Sugar
  • 175g Unsalted Butter (I like to use stork)
  • 2 1/2 Teaspoons Of Espresso Coffee Powder
Method
  1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius (350 farenheit, gas mark 4) and line 2 round sponge tins.
  2. Crush the walnuts either by bashing them with a rolling pin in a sandwich bag or chopping them finely.
  3. Put the nuts and the dry ingredients (flour, espresso powder, baking powder, bicarbonate soda) in a bowl and whisk.
  4. In another bowl, cream the butter, vanilla extract and sugar together either using an electric hand whisk or by hand. An electric whisk/mixer is so much easier and faster.
  5. Mix both bowls and finally add the 4 eggs and whisk again. The cake mix should be smooth, if it's too thick add a few tablespoons of milk until the consistency is smoother.
  6. Divide the mixture between the 2 cake tins and bake for 25 minutes. You can check if they're baked properly by poking it with a skewer and it should be clean.
  7. When the cakes are done, set them aside to cool and make a start on the icing by sifting the icing sugar into a bowl of softened butter.
  8. Dissolve the espresso powder in hot water whisk it into the sugar and butter until it's creamy.
  9. Sandwich half the icing between the 2 sponges and spread the rest on the top of it. I add the left over walnuts as decoration but you could decorate the cake with anything really.
  10. Eat way too many slices and drink too much tea.
Have you tried this recipe before?
Liv x

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Goes perfectly with a good cuppa xx

      Delete
  2. omg. this looks so yummy! i feel like i could eat that whole cake in one sitting.

    xo
    Bobbi

    https://bobbihearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahah you'd be awake for days with the amount of espresso in it xx

      Delete
  3. This cake sounds amazing and I love your photo! Might have to give making this a go! X

    Kate// itskaterose.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!! The buttercream is to die for (even if I do say so myself lol)xx

      Delete
  4. I have such a big love for coffee cake!! I can't believe I have never baked one yet, so thank you for sharing this recipe! :) x

    Kayleigh | www.anenthusiasmfor.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I love coffee cake! They're actually so easy to make too xx

      Delete
  5. This looks incredible! My sister would love this xxx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so delicious. I think this is the perfect recipe for a cake to eat in the afternoon while having some coffee or tea. And looks easy too! xx

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! It looks so delicious! ✿

    Do you wanna follow each other via GFC or Bloglovin? Lemme know ♥
    * Spring with Rosegal *

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake looks so delicious!!!
    xoxo

    Ileana

    Novelstyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely going to try out this recipe!! This looks amazing!! xox
    Erika Jane https://erikajanesays.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I defo recommend, it's actually so easy xo

      Delete
  10. Oh yum! Coffee & walnut is one of my favourite cakes of all so I am definitely saving this recipe to make this soon. Thanks for posting xxx
    UmmBabyBeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, they're the perfect combo! Aww no problem thank you for reading xx

      Delete